Gulf Shores - Hangout Festival Cancelled
Dear San Carlos Owners & Guests,
Yesterday, March 31st, Mayor Robert Craft and the City Council unanimously passed a resolution during a Special Council Meeting to cancel the 2020 Hangout Music Festival scheduled for May 15-17 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. City officials say they have been considering the cancellation due to COVID-19 for some time and that the decision was based solely on what was in the best interest of public health, safety and welfare.
“Our decision to cancel the event wasn’t taken lightly, but we are confident we have made the right decision for the health and safety of our community,” said Craft. “We have been monitoring the situation for a number of weeks to better understand the spread of COVID-19 and the public health conditions we could expect in mid-May so that we could make the most informed decision to protect everyone involved.”
- All public beach along Alabama’s Gulf Coast, including Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, and the Fort Morgan peninsula are CLOSED through April 17.
- This includes the beach access north of Hwy. 182 at Little Lagoon Pass in Gulf Shores.
- At this time, both cities are under double red flag warnings which means all Gulf waters along the beach are closed to the public. It is expected that waters will remain closed through April 17.
- At this time, all public boat launches and waterways in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach are still open, as are all recreational trails, public fishing piers, golf courses, and boating and fishing charters. People are strongly encouraged to practice social distancing and stay at least 6 feet from each other and in groups of less than 25 people.
- All restaurants, bars, breweries and similar establishments (such as ice cream shops and coffee shops) are closed to dine-in customers through April 17.
As of Saturday, March 28, per the Alabama Department of Public Health, all of the following are closed statewide through April 17:
- Tourist attractions including museums, planetariums, arcades, bowling alleys and racetracks
- Indoor children’s play areas and commercial and public playground equipment
- Fitness centers, yoga studios and other group exercise class facilities
- Spa and massage-therapy facilities, tanning salons, nail, waxing, and threading salons, barber shops and hair salons, and tattoo studios
- Night clubs and bars
- Casinos and bingo halls, as well as venues operated by social clubs
- Concert and theatre venues
- Spectator sporting venues
- Retail stores include furniture/home furnishings; clothing, shoe and accessories; jewelry, luggage and leather goods; department stores; sporting goods stores; and book, craft and music stores. However, these types of retail stores can stay open if doing online or phone orders, curb- side pickup or delivery.
- Grocery stores and pharmacies are remaining open. Shoppers should practice 6- foot social distancing.
I will continue to update everyone as this COVID-19 issue progresses.